Ice Cream . . . and Pluto's Not a Planet

Today we wrapped up our science chapter on Pluto.  The recommended activity in the book was to make ice cream and talk about the chemical reactions between the ice and salt.  It was rather a weak link to Pluto, but my kitchen was filled with half a dozen happy girls shaking their bags of rock salt, ice, and sweetened whipping cream. 

Science? 

Perhaps not so much.

Fun?

Yes, quite a lot.

I asked if they would always remember that Pluto is very cold as a result of doing this activity.  E12 answered, "Everyone knows Pluto is cold.  I didn't need ice cream to remind me of that!"

"Perhaps we should have skipped the activity," I replied dryly.

"Oh, no!  Then we would have just been mad!"

Thank goodness they're not mad!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week