NaNoWriMo--The First Week

We set up our accounts and decided that 10,000 words was both ambitious and potentially reachable.

They're not going to reach 10,000 words this month.

But that's okay, because they're all just over 1,000 words right now at the end of the first week, and they are so proud of themselves!  I'm proud of them, too.  They've never attempted anything of this magnitude before, and they're being stretched ever so far.

Last night E12 read an excerpt of her story to me.  She can write.  She can really write.

(I find this encouraging because it means that the years I've spent reading aloud have not been wasted!)

J8 would rather write than do anything else these days.  S10 and M10 could have twice as many words if they weren't counting so often, but right now the counting is what's keeping them going, so who am I to argue?

I find the kids engaged in conversation all day long--sharing their stories with one another, conferring about plot twists and character names--I think it is tremendously exciting.  There's an energy and joy in our days that I will miss when the month is over.

Perhaps Christmas joys will take the place of writing. :)

In the meantime, we have 3/4 of the month still ahead . . . what will the next week bring?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week