First Day of the New Unit Studies

Whew!  I'm already exhausted.

But it is a happy sort of exhausted.

Our homeschool association sponsors "International Day" each November.  The kids sign up to do displays of an international flavor.  In past we did a display about Cinderella stories from around the world, studied Mongolia, and had an aborted attempt to study India.  This year we're taking a break from our regularly scheduled school for 3 week unit studies.

For the little girls we are exploring How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.

For the big girls we are studying Antarctica.

In 5 minutes I have to head upstairs to start the big girls.  I just spent the past couple of hours working with the little girls.  We made mini apple pies, read the book, and talked about passports.  I made really cute little passports for each girl by copying this idea and then using google images for the term "passport."  I printed out a homemade cover, pasted in the passport form, pasted in a picture of each girl, and then pasted in pictures of real {empty} passport pages.  I'm going to search for images of visa stamps as we "visit" each country in the book.

My time is up.  Off to Antarctica I go! 

Post edit:  I had the little girls show Daddy their passports.  H3 danced with delight as she said, "Daddy, I have a passport.  A passport is for going to other countries!"  Daddy gave her a high five, "You're right!"  Then we had a bonus educational moment as Daddy retrieved his real passport full of stamps and interesting notes and told the girls stories of his mission and travels when he was younger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week