So Many Small Moments

I2 found a book about skyscrapers that measures nearly 3 feet tall.  Daddy checked it out and has been poring over it ever since.  The kids have caught him doing so and are mimicking him.  H4 loves "the building that goes 'round and 'round like a shell."

*****
M12 has been giving her sisters impromptu piano, violin, and recorder lessons.  S11 came dancing happily into the kitchen, "I can read music now!! [M12] taught me how!  Did you hear me play?" 

I did hear her, and it is heaven.  All of them.  The piano is in action at almost all hours of the day.  I love to hear them play, and I try to tell them so.

*****
A7 made lunch for us the other day.  At first she said she couldn't do it--make peanut butter and jam sandwiches.  But then I said, "That's okay.  [S11] can do it instead."  So A7 said she'd try.  She did a great job. 

*****
S11 continues to ask me at least once a day how she can help.  Every time she does it I feel a miracle in both of our hearts.  I tell her over and over again, "I couldn't do without you.  I'm so thankful for your sweet help."

*****
We celebrated the summer solstice with friends.  On the spur of the moment we invited some new church friends to come over, and we had a water balloon fight, ate giant ice cream cones, and caught fire flies.

That's all.

It was perfect.

*****
A friend of ours knows a set of 4 siblings that need a permanent home.   She told me about them in hopes that maybe since we're looking to adopt and these kids need to be adopted, there might be some sort of cosmic serendipity.  s.

My kids freaked out.  The oldest child in this family is an 11 year old girl.  We already have an 11 year old, a 10 year old and a 12 year old, and my girls said it was "too much."  They were furious with a fury that actually frightened me.  I let them talk and talk and talk.

Then I said, "We're not even approved for adoption.  We could have months of paperwork still ahead.  Dad and I have made no decisions.  We haven't even met these kids.  We haven't fasted or prayed or gone to the temple about any of it.  Mrs. S-- says that their foster mom doesn't want them adopted by members of our church, and we don't know how much say she has about it--it could be a lot.  They've been available for adoption for nearly 2 years now.  The only people who ask about adopting the kids only want the littlest one, or only want 2 of the kids.  No one wants all of them.  Can you even imagine?"

They were silent.

I could feel sorrow emanate from their very beings.

They spoke not another word.

*****
Over and over again I hear, "I'm so bored.  Can I play on the computer?"  I say no.  Children stomp off furious that they're stuck with the worst mom in the whole world.  They sulk and moan and throw their bodies around.  I offer to let them fold laundry or scrub the kitchen floor.  They glare at me. 

Then they go find something to do.

Read a book.
Give a sister a makeover.
Pull out the dress up clothes and make believe.
Draw pictures.
Go outside.
Play with a pet.
Write a story . . .

It is marvelous to behold.

Comments

  1. Oh I can't wait for the kids to tell me they're bored!

    To answer your question. I have twins that will be 9 in September. Both have a reading disorder and went to speech-therapy for 18 months where they worked through the Wilson Reading System and did intense language/reading therapy. One twin improved, my daughter didn't. Peyton had a memory impairment which we now believe was due to seizures. She is just now starting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering my question. Though I already had great respect for you, it has been ramped up by your answer. I remember the years of watching my oldest not learn to read and wondering what I could possibly do more to help her. I read everything and tried everything. It was a season of tremendous self-doubt. I wish you and Peyton joy in her learning! I will keep you in my prayers, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week