The Longest Week (2/8/21)

 Early Sunday morning, Sir Walter Scott had a stroke.

Our lives have been rather different this week. (How's that for understatement?)

Because no visitors were allowed at the hospital, I had to go home after dropping him off at the ER.  What a blessing it was that the kids at home could watch church services streaming live!  What a blessing it was that I had dinner in the crock pot!  What a blessing it was that I have older kids to take care of the younger ones!  What a blessing it was that our bishop kindly led us in a "prayer of faith" in lieu of a priesthood blessing because no visitors could go to the hospital to administer to Sir Walter Scott!  What a blessing it was that the nurses followed through on their calls to me, and I was able to talk to my sweetheart once he was in a room!  What a blessing it was that I could keep people apprised of what was happening by text and calls!  What a blessing it was that family and friends have offered support from the very first minutes!

And what a blessing it was that we had committed to babysitting for a friend, so the kids had friends over to play with, and I had a baby to snuggle all of the long afternoon.


The greatest blessing of all has been the tender mercy of peace in my heart that all will be well.
 
Docs have focused on his heart as the possible cause of the stroke, but every single test they've done (and they've done a lot!) has come back with normal, healthy results.  Sir Walter Scott uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, and he recently recovered from covid--both of these conditions are on the stroke-risk list.  
 
Just another reason to not love covid!

I miss my sweetheart like crazy . . . to my very core.  It's a different sort of missing than when he is gone for a long series of days at work or on a trip.  This missing is tangible and achy.

But we are receiving miracle upon miracle, and Sir Walter Scott is already in rehab, and I'm allowed to visit him for a couple of hours each afternoon, and he's walking and talking and using his hands.  The prognosis is for full recovery, and even though his sight and balance are the most affected by this stroke, his treatment plan includes occupation-focused therapies to get him back on the nursing floor as soon as possible . . . even if that is months away.

Cards for Daddy
 
There are little hints that his stint with in-patient rehab might be shorter than originally anticipated, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up falsely. 

In the mean-time, we're adjusting at home to a new normal.

But as it hasn't been normal for very long, this week's report is mostly about how we've let go of our old normal and have done our best to cope with having our world rocked.

We're part of the midwest arctic freeze going on.  Temperatures have been in the single digits with wind-chills in the negative teens.  Perfect for freezing bubbles!





And Nature Angel has been working on her photography skills by taking pictures of frost and snowflakes.




We've had long afternoons with Legos and Playdough.


We've had video calls with Daddy.


We've worked on Valentine's Day cards for our traditional family exchange--minus Rose Red, Pixie, and Daddy.
 
(I'm not really fond of this shrinking-family stage!)
 
Nature Angel and Little Princess have been invaluable assistants every day in everything from meal preparation to childcare to cleaning!
 

 
They are truly remarkable young people!

I am now gone for 2 1/2 hours every afternoon, and these two have stepped up to fill my place with good attitudes, creativity, and astonishing skills.

The rehab unit

The sun finally came out one day, so we bundled everyone up for a short walk around the block--just for some fresh air and sunshine.  



We didn't even get all the way around when we realized we needed to get the babies back inside, so Nature Angel and Little Princess took them home while the rest of the kids walked and ran with me.  It was cold enough that it hurt to breathe, but even those few minutes outside were such a treat!!!

We've had some truly terrible behaviors from our behaviorally fragile kids--I've fended off many bites, hits, and kicks this week.  But everyone is doing their best, and I'm seeing improvement already.

We had Morning Meeting, ABA therapy, and Individual School time each day.  One day we read about the Taj Mahal; another day we watched a documentary about India; most afternoons we let go of academic goals and coped with big feelings.

We are well.
Sir Walter Scott is healing.
We are so very blessed!!!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! Praying for continued peace and miracles. What a very long week that would feel. Older kids are an especially wonderful blessing in times like this, aren't they?
    We just found out yesterday that my husband has COVID. We have at least 3 kids already starting symptoms, one of which is one of my teen helpers. I'm just wheeling around and doing what I can with my broken foot, and we're preparing for another 4-8 inches of snow on top of the 6 inches of snow and ice we have already. But no hospital for us. That would be so much harder! Praying so much for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for your entire family. I do hope your husband can make a full recovery. I have heard of so many people who have had strokes after COVID. What a scary side effect. Our daughter boss called last night and said she has COVID and had been to work with symptoms for over a week. Rebekah is being tested on Sunday since she was near her boss the most on Thursday. Hopefully their mask wearing will have protected her and all of us.

    Praying that you continue to receive tons of blessings.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week! I cannot imagine how scary and difficult it was/is. I'm so thankful to hear of his prognosis. Many prayers for continued healing and easy, peaceful days as much as possible for you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! May the Lord be very very close to you as you navigate being the solo parent at home, however long or short the time. I pray that this upset doesn't cause an acceleration in negative behaviors. Hoping your church and family surround you with love and HELP. I feel like the effects of COVID will be felt for a long time to come, unfortunately. I'm so sorry.

    The snowflake photos are spectacular.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continuing to think of you and watching for an update.

      Delete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week