A Week, Briefly (11/30/20)

December beauty at Little Blue Trace--photo credit:  Nature Angel

After church on Sunday, Baymax reminded me that I'd promised a visit to Cave Spring.

I decided there was no time like the present, as time outside helps my small ones honor our Father in Heaven a little bit more reverently in formal worship meetings.

We've begun to try to figure out how old the tracks are that we find.  We're trying to remember weather patterns and assess the dryness and other clues to help us.  So far we're able to tell if the tracks are "new" or "old."  Perhaps greater finesse will come with time and experience.

Found a treasure buried in the leaves.

Climbing the cave wall never gets old.

Lola as sloth. :)

This little area was new to us, and instead of hiking, we stopped to balance and play for as long as we could.

 
We barely had time to enjoy the big tree, when I realized it was time to head home for the remainder of our church meetings.  We hustled back and had a lovely Sabbath afternoon.
 
Hike #49 of 52 at Cave Spring
110.89 miles +.72 mile =  111.61 miles

We decorated our Christmas tree that evening.

 
We started our school week with no toddlers; one was ill and the other had a well-child exam, so their parents kept them home.  We opted to dive into our regularly scheduled school/therapy day.
 
 Mister Man finished his 2nd of 4 literature units.
 
We had our share of returning-to-a-school-schedule pains, but we survived.

December 1st saw us into our Advent activities.  We're keeping it very simple this year:

1.  The Jesus Storybook Bible--added to our Morning Meeting
2.  Opening a wrapped Christmas picture book each day to read during Elevenses
3.  Making and hanging "Names of Christ" ornaments on a paper tree hanging on our dining room wall.  Sometimes we're doing crafts; sometimes we're only reading the name and the scripture in which the name is found.

On Friday we did a craft to go with "The Everlasting Father."  The ornament picture is of a wreath because it is a circle without beginning or end, so we made simple pompom wreaths.

It was one of those magic moments when everything is just right.  Little Mister Frog had been cleared by his doctor to return to daycare, but he still didn't feel well, and he needed extra cuddles and loves.  I streamed gentle instrumental Christmas music that I found on Youtube, and the kids set to work joyfully and quietly.  I rocked and sang to Little Mister Frog until he fell asleep in my arms.

The kids worked for an hour.

An hour!

In total peace and diligence.

That was a morning that filled my bucket!

Other days were not as lovely, and earlier in the week, after picking up Christmas books from the library, I sat in the van and cried.

I could count my blessings as I wept, but there were tensions and fears and sorrows that just had to work their way out, I guess.

So I cried.

And then I returned to my blessings.

One of which is a new dishwasher!!!

Boys helping Dad get the new dishwasher into the house.

Ours was a hand-me-down, generously shared with us by dear friends, but it was fickle from the start.  We replaced some broken parts and were very grateful.  But over the past year it has worked, not worked, partially worked, and confused us.  

I saved childcare money; Sir Walter Scott worked overtime; and we got a brand-spanking-new dishwasher that holds probably double the dishes our old one did.

We took our daily walks.

The Munchkin and I both had blue monster hats that day. :)

"Mom, can we run home!?!?"

Hike #50 of 52--Daily Walks
111.61 miles + 3.32 =114.93 miles

Beowulf and I had a meeting with his psychiatrist, and as he has not had any negative side effects from the introductory level of his new med, she went ahead and prescribed a therapeutic level (that she admits is probably not enough, but it is wise to titrate carefully).  Beowulf is still wildly out of control often, and this week found us both on the kitchen floor as I tried to keep him from making good on his threat and efforts to break our computers.

How I pray he (and the rest of us) will find relief from this chaos!

On the flip side, Brother is doing so well, I think we may not be approved for continuing ABA at our next re-certification meeting.  No one is hinting or threatening that it will end, but I'm mentally preparing myself for whatever lies ahead.
 
He's using his coping strategies without needing reminders sometimes, and when he does need reminders, he's responsive.  It's simply miraculous!

In our family reading, we finished reading The Singing Tree by Kate Seredy and Rascal by Sterling North, and we started The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

Such a treat!

We also started reading Nurse Matilda by Christianna Brand.

We're still working on Sergeant York by John Perry.  (Honestly, I'm quite bored with it, but it's part of our Colloquium reading, and some of the kids like it, so we're carrying on.)

One day we found our babies deep in conversation.

Another day Nature Angel helped The Munchkin make a pom pom Christmas tree craft to take home.  He was far more interested in process over product, so when the tree was done, we slipped the tree out of the way and substituted a plain piece of cardboard for him to add and remove pompoms and smear glue and marker as he liked.


Kids are deep in the throes of Christmas gift buying and making.  When they're not doing school, they're raiding craft cupboards and asking for tape.
 
(Why is the tape always missing?  No matter how many rolls I buy!)
 
I am grateful that my children enjoy giving.
 
Pixie tested positive for Covid-19.  For a young, otherwise healthy young adult, the quarantine has been worse than the illness.  Her roommates are quarantined, too, but because they are all still symptom-free, they are gathered together.  Only Pixie has been isolated in her room--listening to banter and laughter that does not include her.  The isolation left her weepy and despairing, and I was ready to fly out to take care of her.  However, we came up with other solutions that helped her connect with people virtually and fed her spirit what it needed.  By Saturday she was chipper and hopeful--even though she was just as ill. 

I continue to stand firm in my belief that we need people more than we need our health. 

Neither Pixie nor I are sorry that her socializing has led to her illness.  (Yes, the school has had careful rules in place, and she has followed them on campus and at church.)  The relationships she's cultivated are well worth a short season of being sick.  We are only sorry that she felt so alone and helpless.  

(That said, I do respect other opinions and I definitely respect those who are more vulnerable to long-term suffering and debility.)
 
We took a hike on Friday afternoon at Little Blue Trace.
 
Off to an energetic start!
  
Give the baby a leaf, and he's happy to take a ride.

Someone decorated this tree with handmade knitting, crocheting, beading, embroidery, patchwork, and feather art. 

We often hike slowly . . . especially when there are fences to conquer.


Headed off the main trail to explore toward the river

Off the trail is easier for kids than it is for me with a baby on my back!

Baymax was very happy to carry his pond scum.  It was even more fun when he discovered that it would stretch and the end would break off over and over again.

Hike #51 of 52--Little Blue Trace/Valley
114.93 miles + 3.62 = 118.55 miles

We ended our week with pizza and Christmas movies.

The goals for the week ahead include:
1.  As much schoolwork as possible
2.  Putting up the outdoor Christmas lights
3.  Hike #52!

Comments

  1. Hike #52!!! What a huge accomplishment. Congrats in advance. Wishing you a happy a productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gotten all of those little feet to walk more than 100 miles this year. That is a wonderful accomplishment. I am sorry that some days are so hard. I think your advent plans sound wonderful. The wrapped books worked wonderfully for us. I hope everyone gets and or stays well in the coming weeks.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees/logs the kids are sitting on at the end of your Cave Spring hike on Sunday look like they are ready to morph or spring to life full of animals! Wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paddington! That very book and literature guide ignited Jack's desire to read. We ended up with about a dozen Paddington chapter books because they appealed to his sense of humor. What Biscuit books were to his toddler years, Paddington books were to his true learning to read season. (He was a very late reader.)

    I'm impressed with your outdoor knowledge. I wouldn't know the first thing about animal tracks.

    Love the picture with all the kids in front of the Christmas tree. I miss the playpen tree days.

    The pompom wreaths made me smile. Katie asked if we were going to put a "sheath" on our door this year.

    I made one of my crafty kids so happy the year I put their very own roll of TAPE in their stocking. In fact, there's tape in my next Eli box, too, since that's one of those things you don't think about buying until it's an urgent need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week