A Week, Briefly (1/27/20)

It was an emotionally challenging week in many ways . . . but we get to mark another week of not needing to call 911. :)

Saturday
The kids spent 7+ hours outside in the snow.  It was the last day before the temperatures were going to melt everything away.


They finished as much of their igloos as they could and enjoyed them very much!

Little Princess' had a slide out her front door.  Nature Angel's had a sky light.




I had no idea that day that circumstances would keep us from enjoying the outdoors for the entire week to come!

Sunday

3 sick teens meant we felt small at church.  We didn't even fill the whole pew!

My plans to bundle up and take a family hike had to be filed away for later, so we had a quiet day that included a very brief FHE lesson followed by brownies and a scoop of ice cream for those who felt well enough to partake.

Monday
We had a solid first day of school for the week.  Morning Meeting, Individual School, Symposium, Academy, and Colloquium marched along in reasonable order.

In addition:

Mister Man saw the orthodontist.
Ladybug went to therapy.
Super Star started her IOP.
I began to question whether or not CBD oil is actually working for Ladybug.

Last week was so smooth and joyful for her, but this week proved challenging.  Though her schoolwork remained easier to complete, she's been defiant, volatile, and far less agreeable than she was a week ago . . . the behaviors are more severe than they were before we began using CBD oil.

I cannot tell if it is related to the oil itself (it seems to be as there is a surge of negative behaviors for an hour or longer immediately after she takes a dose) or if it is part of the cyclical nature of her usual behaviors.

I am watching her very closely and trying hard to be sure that oil or no oil, we're doing the best we can to help her.

Tuesday
Brother's agitated state didn't keep us from having a productive school day, during which Mister man finished another literature unit.

After that the day devolved into hardship, as I had to spend the entire afternoon supervising Brother through a destructive and violent rage.

I do my best to keep my phone near when Brother is out of himself, and I record as much behavior as I can in case I need to prove that I'm trying to help him, not hurt him.  I've got heartbreaking footage of him trying to break his own fingers, " . . . because I'm mad at you!"

After that ended, Ladybug had an episode of her own.

I was waaaay ready for bed that night.

Wednesday
We confirmed that we have both a stomach bug and another cold running through the family.  We did as much school as we could, taking into consideration lower than usual energy levels and more clean up than usual.

In the evening, Pixie and Belle took over dinner/bedtime duty while I accompanied Super Star to "Family Night" at the IOP.  I went with a cheerful resolution to listen and contribute in a positive manner.

I failed.

Utterly.

The lead therapist rubbed me the wrong way, and even though I could have been quiet and allowed him to do his thing, he called on me.  I don't know what happened, but instead of a polite response, I opened my mouth and vitriol spewed forth (not about Super Star!).

I wished the floor would open up and swallow me.

Poor Super Star.  Now she has "The Crazy Mom."

The therapist politely made a point of coming to me and saying, "Thank you for your contribution.  I hope you come back next week."

Super Star asked me not to come back.

After an honest discussion between the two of us, I will not be going back because she really likes this group, and she feels very safe there.

I do not.

And I made it feel unsafe for her.

Even though I'd like to go back and hold my head high and show that I can be polite and positive, that's all about me, and this group is for her.

Thursday
The septic tank guy came to pump out our tank, so we set the young ones free to watch him do his thing (and honk the big horn on his big truck), while I had an abbreviated Symposium with the teens.   After that, we squeezed in a little bit of Individual School before racing out the door to dance practice.

I was so grateful our little buddy that we babysat for a while was willing to visit with me while I led the practice for our opening number.


And how fun that his auntie (who is a mom in our group and his regular sitter) took a picture of us!

When we got home, Ladybug told me that she'd finished her second math workbook in her curriculum earlier that day!


Then it was time to make a quick dinner and get the family out the door for Children and Youth Night at church.

When they left, Lola and Baymax and I made cookies together.  They got into their jammies while the cookies were in the oven, and then they ate them while they watched a movie.

I love my Thursday date nights with these two!

Friday
We hurried through as much school as we could before Super Star, Brother, and I left for our therapy sessions, and when we got home, Grandma and Grandpa came to visit.

Lola and Baymax were not happy about having their school time shortchanged, so we squeezed in a little session.  And they finished their first math books!!


Then it was time for You Are Loved--a huge Christian event celebrating God's love for young women.  It was Nature Angel's first time to attend, and it was also the first time the event organizers didn't provide formal dresses for the girls to borrow for the night.  Pixie played fairy godmother and managed to find a sweet formal gown for Nature Angel to wear!

We'd already invited a friend each for Belle and Nature Angel, so the girls piled into the car with Sir Walter Scott and headed out for a night of pampering, celebrating, and praise worshiping.


Saturday
I woke up with a to-do list so long and so pressing that I could not dump it and take a hike with the kids in the sun and 50 degree weather.

But the kids played in the yard for several hours while I did what had to be done.  Mostly they shot baskets--playground balls, soccer balls, volleyballs, and actual basketballs bounced in every direction!

Today it is Sunday, and it is sunny and warm.

But 3 kids are sick.

So we're still indoors.

I'm not giving up on our 52 Hikes.

I'm really not!

Comments

  1. I am sorry you have a home filled with illness this week. That is so hard. Bummer that the CBD oil might be failing. Is she very resistant to taking it and works herself up? I am sorry about the meeting too. Sometimes our stress comes out in crazy ways. Hopefully he understands that.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week