A Week, Briefly (12/16/19)

It was a good week.

Bedtime yoga led by Nature Angel

Brother worked so hard every day to keep from having a breakdown, and he succeeded all the way to Friday afternoon.  Honestly, he's fighting his personal demons every waking moment--putting mind-numbing effort into keeping control of himself.

It's exhausting to be his mother, but it must be even more exhausting to be him!

We're working hard to notice his efforts and offer deserved praise and encouragement.

Ladybug had a couple of wretched behavior episodes, but they were just isolated and annoying.

Beowulf has begun to have increasingly violent episodes.  He's confirming the pattern we've seen in Brother and Ladybug that age 7 is a pivotal and especially challenging year.  We've had a few discouraged sighs and some significant squaring of our shoulders as we gear up for what Beowulf's development will bring to the table.

We're hoping it's not quite as hard as Ladybug's and Brother's challenges, as we've already got him on a med regimen that has contributed to a lot of personal success.

We had a massive snowstorm on Sunday that allowed for days of joyful outdoor play.











Snow bunny by Nature Angel!

Nature Angel and Little Princess were excused from all schoolwork except Morning Meeting this week.  They have been the most consistently successful at completing schoolwork as planned, so they are miles ahead of anyone else in the family in reaching their academic goals for the year.  They focused their days on finishing handmade Christmas gifts, helping me around the house, and playing games with younger siblings.

They made themselves incredibly useful!

The teens completed Unit 6 and began Unit 7 in The Good and the Beautiful Language Arts.  This included a 2,000 word biographical essay which they aced!

Belle's

Super Star's

We're still not having Academy, but our lunchtime read alouds continued through completing The Other Wise Man and beginning The Family Under the Bridge.

As I pulled out The Family Under the Bridge, Super Star sighed, "I love this book," and stayed at the table so she could listen to the first chapter.

Mister Man completed his second of five arithmetic books.

My 4 early elementary kids worked at independent school all 5 days this week.  Each one is making delightful progress in reading, writing, and math skills.  I fill my pockets with a handful of Skittles each morning and administer one here and another there as a reward for staying focused on their work, for asking a question without whining, for trying hard, for completing a page, etc..

We also had 5 days of Jr. Kindergarten.  I love "recitation" best--they stand at attention (sort of) and answer their questions so sincerely--but they love the story at the end best, and I must admit that having their little heads on my shoulders as they listen to me read is a soul-filling treat.

As the temperatures climbed above freezing, and the snow turned to mush, we got out the playdough.

I smiled during every Morning Meeting this week because our hymn was "O Come, All Ye Faithful," and my small boys sang the chorus with lusty vigor.

I wonder how much longer I can call them my small boys as Mister Man's head reaches my chin already!  He is a tangle of gangly arms and legs, and I can see his body preparing to eventually make the shift from boy to young man.


Our furnace shut down one cold day, and we resorted to our wood-burning stove for heat while we sorted out the problem.  The little boys proudly brought in wood all day long, and when the furnace was working again they begged, "Please, keep the fire going . . . see all the wood we have left?!?"

We burned all of the wood they'd brought in, and I cannot help but reflect about how important it is for kids to have meaningful work.  All of our kids do chores every day, but the act of bringing in wood to keep the family warm really spoke to my boys.  They could see the results of their work so much more than they can see the results of wiping down a toilet or emptying a dishwasher.

The toilets must continue to be wiped, and the dishwasher must be emptied time and time again, but that day of boys grunting with manly delight as they hauled wood has me thinking.


I am a little bit sorry that the holiday weeks have descended.  We've had a good week--actually 2 good weeks in a row--and I would rather have a few more under our belt before we have interruptions.  But there have been many happy little elves working ever so hard and who are ever so ready to share their surprises with one another . . . I think I shall have to grin and bear it. :)

And Pixie's home!




Comments

  1. What a joy for a steadier week all around! And to have Pixie home - I know how wonderful that is. Praying for a peaceful in the storms Christmas season for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that you all had a more peaceful week. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas week with your sweet girl home. I love bedtime Yoga. That used to help my crew so much.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flower paintings are just beautiful!

    There's a Christian yoga event coming up soon that I'm looking forward to going to. I've never done it, but it should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week