A Week, Briefly (9/9/19)

Nature Angel built this little playhouse last Saturday.  The cute little fairy with the watering can is our friend that we babysit.

I canceled school this week . . . mostly.

We had Morning Meeting and evening reading each day.

The teens and tweens were accountable for 3 days of independent study, and Mister Man was assigned to finish his Prairie School literature study.

Which he did.


And this is how he did it.


Ladybug also completed 2 math lessons, and she got up each morning to do her personal scripture reading/narrating.

Nature Angel and Little Princess are still loving Duolingo.  And I'm getting a kick out of the progress reports that are emailed to me.

Nature Angel's report

Little Princess's report

Nature Angel and I had to find an online Greek keyboard that she can use to type her answers and then cut and paste them into the blanks on the Duolingo site.  That was a little confusing, but now that the problem is solved, all is well.

Otherwise, we had 2 birthdays, 1 child to send to college, and so many dissociative episodes and elopements (what the psych people call his running away) by Brother that I'm writing this from the children's hospital while we wait for a pediatric psych bed to open.

Again.

In the ER--after the episode ended--waiting for the mental health evaluator to arrive.

That's why most of our school was canceled.

And it is why Ladybug had a violent outburst of her own this morning . . . and last night.

The blessing that followed the outburst is that she used words to express her feelings of frustration that Brother's running away causes me to be away from home, and she misses me.

That's the first expression of a desire for me to be around that she's ever expressed.

And it's the first time she's used words to explain her feelings in a positive way.

Awful outbursts . . . good end result.

Sir Walter Scott took Pixie to Idaho.

My crew . . . assembled for good-bye.



That's the car with my girl  . . . taking her 1200 miles away.

I stayed home because Brother hasn't been stable enough for both parents to be away.

I've been able to be positive about Pixie's leaving, but honestly, there's a hole in my chest.

She's happy though--tired and happy.

And in the right place for her.

There were a multitude of freshman orientation activities and a giant party celebrating the start of school.  She's found all of her classes and the math- and writing-labs, her kitchen is stocked with food, her bed and storage areas are claimed, and she likes her roommates . . . here are 4 of the 6 together:



Sir Walter Scott gave her a father's blessing before leaving and made the drive home in record time.  As I write he should be sleeping after 27 hours awake including 17 hours driving.

I took the kids to the zoo the morning after Pixie left.

10 students

We went to the park the next morning.

Each afternoon, Grandma and Grandpa came over, and I don't have a picture of it, but Grandma has begun to teach Ladybug how to crochet.

Still no word on being assigned a case manager by the Mental Health Regional Office, and the autism school requires either $6,400/mo tuition or an IEP and a referral from the public school system.  I've begun studying how to get that IEP, and I'm looking at a massive learning curve.

Given the challenges we're facing, I think we may have to come up with a Plan B for our homeschool this year.

Comments

  1. Oh, Anne. I am sorry. Sitting in the ER waiting for help is so familiar. My prayers are with you as always. It sound like hard one but positive progress with Ladybug. Sending you a big hug.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the hole in your chest with your girl going so far away even when you know its right for her. It's so hard having them grow up! My eyes see the person they are but my heart still sees the children that they were. Praying that you find a solution to help Brother. The playhouse is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That playhouse really is the cutest! But I can just imagine the heartache as your girl drove off so far away. I still don't really know how people EVER adjust to their kids growing up and moving away! I know it's coming--I know it's GOOD and right for them--and yet my mind still just kind of shuts down when I imagine it actually happening. :( I hope you can get the IEP figured out and some help for Brother! The paperwork and bureaucracy is a nightmare, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My baby sister (4 mos younger than my 4th child, lol) is in college in Idaho, too! :) Sometimes it seems like a small world. Other times, like when that 4th child is 2,924 miles from home, not so small.

    My heart aches for you guys over what you're going through with Brother. One of my kids had some psych issues, and we rapidly discovered that pediatric psych resources are either nonexistent or over booked. :( I'm glad you're seeing good things with Ladybug, even if that puts more pressure on you to spread yourself even thinner. Please take care of yourself. You don't want to end up sick on top of everything. IEP meetings are no fun, but I hope you're able to get one scheduled soon. It may require more evaluations by the school district (also not fun) but once you get on the path, you should be able to get some help in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter (2nd daughter, 3rd child) is back at BYU-I for her third semester. She texts and calls me every day. I'm relieved she has good roommates. That makes such a difference. I'm sure Pixie will do well. I definitely understand how you're missing her.

    I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week