2019-2020 Homeschool plans: Group Studies

Pixie's leaving for college, and Nature Angel's growing well beyond elementary school.

The mental/academic/emotional gap between Little Princess and Ladybug is growing larger, too.

So, our homeschool needed some changes . . .

while some things are still the same.

Group #1:  Morning Meeting:  Everyone possible
We have Morning Meeting 6 days a week in all weather, in all seasons, no matter who is home or not.  We're keeping the start time of 8 am--during breakfast--because it's the time when the most family members are the most likely to be available.  I'd like to start breakfast earlier, but this compromise time gives the teens time to get home from seminary (at least 4 days a week) and gets the rest of us started on our day at a reasonable hour.

During Morning Meeting we:
1.  Recite the Come, Follow Me theme of the week.
2.  Recite the primary scripture of the month--this is chosen by our primary president and recited by the children during church.  I got our president to email me a copy of all of the year's scriptures so I could have them ready on the first day of each month instead of waiting until after the first Sunday.
3.  Sing an article of faith.  We sing 1 a month except for January when we sing #1 and #2 because they're short.
4.  Read Bible or Church History stories.  This year we've read at least 3 sets of New Testament stories, and as soon as we finish the New Testament portion of  Egermeier's Bible Story Book (in about 3 weeks) we'll read one more before 2019 ends.  In addition we'll read The Jesus Storybook Bible through December and into January.  I'm 80% sure we'll start Doctrine and Covenants Stories when we're through with The Jesus Storybook Bible.
5.  Read a Book of Mormon story.  We're working our way through The Book of Mormon Family Reader right now.  I'm planning to shift to Illustrated Book of Mormon Stories when we finish the reader.
6.  Study Come, Follow Me.  2019's study is the New Testament.  2020's study will be The Book of Mormon.  These are themed lessons that challenge us to take our reading a little deeper than we might achieve otherwise.
7.  Recite a scripture verse related to Come, Follow Me.  I choose this verse based on the assigned readings for the week, and we recite it 3 times each school day because we only focus on it for a week.  We don't truly memorize the verses in such a short time, but we do get familiar with them, and the kids are quick to recognize them when they show up in future lessons.
8.  Sing a primary song related to the Come, Follow Me lesson.

This looks long, but it only takes 30-45 minutes, and the kids are eating most of the time, so it's pretty easy.

Group #2:  Symposium:  Super Star and Belle
The plan was to add Nature Angel this year.  But that was before I realized just how big the gap is between my high schoolers and the next sister in line.   The oldest 4 have been such a unit that it always made sense to school them together as much as possible.  However, that means that Super Star and Belle are working several years beyond Nature Angel, and it doesn't make sense to back them up or advance her forward to the same place.  Meeting in the middle somewhere isn't sensible either.

So Symposium is shrinking.

We'll work together on
1.  Apologia American Literature. The goal is to be ready for the CLEP exam for this subject some time next summer.
2.  Veritas Press Omnibus 1.  According to the Veritas Press website, this is their 7th grade curriculum, but there's no way any 7th grader I've ever met could keep up with the required reading schedule (and I've known a greater than average number of 7th graders).  It's going to be hard for my teens to keep up!  We're going to work with the text and primary reading books together for an ancient history course.
3.  The Good and the Beautiful high school Language Arts 2.


Group #3:  Colloquium:  Nature Angel and Little Princess
This group is new this year.

Nature Angel has always been too old for Academy, but I had her stick with us so she could be a good example to the younger kids.  She did all of her actual learning and growing school on her own.

Little Princess has outgrown Academy, too.

Nature Angel is jealous that Little Princess doesn't have to stay in Academy as long as she did.  It is taking many heart-to-heart talks about different kinds of growing and different life experiences even in the same family to speak peace to her mind.

I had planned to send these two to a drop-off co-op more for the social experience than for the academics.  Therefore, when the co-op offered classes that I would never offer on my own, and that were probably still a little simple for Nature Angel, I didn't balk.   I knew that the supplemental activities and social time would more than make up for the simplicity of the curriculum.

That co-op is now cancelled (for good reasons).

And I've invested a boatload of money on resources that don't really fit, but as long as we have them, we might as well use them.

1.  Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology.  We've got the text and notebooks, and we'll make our studies as advanced as we need to in order to challenge and delight these two girls.
2.  Memoria Press Greek Myths.  I'm super excited about this study!  This is one we've wanted for a while now, and the girls and I are going to have a lot of fun diving deeply into Greek Mythology!
3.  Our Star-Spangled Story.  This is the co-op curriculum I'm most sorry to have invested in.  I will probably release Nature Angel from working on this one because it is designed for young kids.  It's technically below even Little Princess's skill level, but she's on the border, and the materials are to-die-for beautiful.  I'm inviting Mister Man to join Little Princess in this study, and it will be a particular joy to him, I'm sure.

Group #4:  Academy:  The youngest 6
We're going to immerse ourselves in Memoria Press's Kindergarten Enrichment.  I found the Enrichment guide, the Music Enrichment guide, and the Book of Crafts all in a bundle at www.homeschoolclassifieds.com.  It is going to be so, so fun!  I splurged on purchasing the digital lesson plans that accompany the curriculum, but they won't work for my crew, so I've spent many, many hours setting up lesson plans that will work, and I'm so looking forward to this year's Academy.  While my kids are anywhere from a year younger to three years older than the target audience, the time we'll spend exploring literature, music, poetry, art, science, and social studies topics is going to be perfect for everyone. 

And I have a hunch that there will be days when Little Princess and Nature Angel will ask to join us in our projects!

Evening Read Aloud Groups
We'll continue enjoying read alouds together in various interest groups to conclude our days in thoughtful peace..

I'm very much hoping that Ladybug and I can work out a truce that will allow her to participate in the youngest read aloud group.

American Rhythm
Super Star says she's ready to come back after a year off, so all 10 of my at-home students will be participating in our dance group this year. 

We've got an international theme brewing . . . with an emphasis on our signature all-American clogging and folk-dancing.

*****
It feels like a lot to be responsible for.  I've prayed and scheduled and prayed and researched and prayed some more, and I feel quietly hopeful that God will magnify my efforts to lead the kids through these plans. 

I know that real life will happen.

Tantrums
Psych appointments
Therapy appointments
Household emergencies
Illness
Just plain bad days

I know I'll often have to set aside what we want to do for what we need to do.

But when I am very still, I get a sense of peace that we have good goals, and we will be blessed.

Comments

  1. Wonderful plans! I hope you have a wonderful academic year.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adjustments are real! I've finally figured out ours and we start next week. It will be interesting for sure. Looks like you have good plans to start out with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are going to be reading a lot of great books. The kindergarten enrichment looks like so much fun and I wish I could have taken the veritas press course when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! You say that you are sorry about your investment in "Our Star-Spangled Story". Is there anything we can do to make your experience with it better? We hope it is a blessing to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mr. Notgrass. The reason I'm sorry for the investment is that it was for a class that was to be taught by a friend. That friend had to cancel the class for very good reasons, but I'd already purchased the materials. As I wrote above, the materials are incredibly beautiful, but they are designed for early elementary kids; the class my upper elementary kids were joining in would have supplemented Our Star-Spangled Story with research assignments more geared to their level. That left me with the options of selling the materials at a loss, saving them for when I was ready for my younger kids to use them, or adapting them for my older kids. The materials are truly beautiful, and I have chosen to keep them and adapt them a bit for this year. Perhaps I can save them and use them again with my younger ones. I'm only sorry because of how much work it was for me to adjust our plans. Now that they are adjusted, I'm sure there will be many glowing posts about the joy my kids have in learning from Our Star-Spangled Story. Please don't worry.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation. Hope you have a great school year! 😃 📚

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week