A Week, Briefly (6/3/19)


Pixie graduated.

That's why this post is late.

She graduated with 4 beloved friends--most of whom she literally cannot remember a time before they were part of her life.

The preparation nearly killed me.

And I only did a fraction of it!  I did a lot of cooking, but the teens and the other moms and dads did a huge amount of the work.

We're glad we did it.

2 down.  10 to go.

:)

(This is the only picture I have so far.  When I get them I may feel compelled to post more, but we'll see.)

While Pixie's needs were a huge focus this week, there were still 11 other kids with needs and accomplishments.

Rose Red started working at Applebee's.  Thursday marked the first out of 90 days of full-time work she needs to complete (among other things) in order to qualify for a new car from her grandparents.  This is part of a plan they're working on with our approval to help transition Rose Red to adulthood and independent living. 

Nature Angel attend art camp.  She was gone every day from 9-3, and the rest of us spent many hours in the car as it was a nearly 1 hour round-trip drive twice each day to drop her off and pick her up.

She made awesome art.


This is only one of over a dozen paintings she worked on.

And this is a collage of her own hands.

The rest of us listened to The Phoenix and the Carpet on audiobook while we were in the car so much.

And we went to the park on a perfect late spring day.

At loose ends because Nature Angel was gone at camp . . . Little Princess spent a lot of time by my side.

I can see in his eyes that Beowulf's adjustment to his higher med dose challenged him.  (He's doing much better now!)



The young ones and I worked on Myself and Others on Monday through Thursday.  Ladybug, Brother, and Beowulf all worked on some reading and math. 

Not a lot.

But enough that Brother finished the first of his Rod and Staff Arithmetic 1 books!


He likes Arithmetic more than any other subject, so I asked him if he wanted to start his second book right away or wait.  I was surprised when he said he wanted to wait.

But we are waiting.

I spent some time studying Baymax's reactions to bananas and nightshades. 

Immucalm definitely reduces how badly he reacts, but it doesn't prevent a reaction.
We're adding some digestive enzymes to his meal-times.  His face did clear almost all the way, but then something triggered a bit more of a reaction.  I don't know what it was because he felt grown-up and served himself several times from the buffet at Pixie's graduation party without my supervision.

Friday was the first "Meet Me at the Park" day with our church friends.  I felt myself breathe out quantities of stress at seeing my friends with time to chat after a whole school year.

This family walked past and entertained us all for a good while.

Kids watching construction across the street

Mister Man and Ladybug in a tree
Pixie's dance studio opened back up this week, and she was happy, happy, happy to be back in her routine.

It rained in our garage on Tuesday, and Sir Walter Scott worked half a day Wednesday trying to solve the problem, but in the end it was more than he could figure out, so we called in a professional.  Because of all of Sir Walter Scott's prep work, the plumber was able to rule out a whole bunch of possible problems, and he went straight to what really was wrong, and had us rain-free and ready to use our water again in under an hour.

How come plumbing problems only crop up on days I'm behind on laundry?  :)

Comments

  1. Where did you get the diploma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it. I was in charge of all of the diplomas. I used PowerPoint and printed them with my home printer (after many tests), and I designed the stickers at Zazzle. The paper and diploma sleeves came from Amazon.

      Delete
    2. Really, you can do that? Would you take payment to make me one? I lost it along the way. I graduated in 1996 from Mountain Pointe High School. I can show you my husband’s for a guide, as he was in my graduation class. Sorry, but sometimes having a degree doesn’t actually prove you graduated from high school.

      Delete
    3. I'm not in the market for making custom diplomas for anyone but my own kids or for our own graduations. There are all kinds of companies from which you can order diplomas. That's what I did for Rose Red. It was so, so, so gorgeous. The one I made looks goofy next to the one I bought for her. Just google it. :) You can find them on etsy, too.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Pixie! What a wonderful accomplishment. I love the fence picture of the kids. That is a nice shot.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week