We Went to a Museum

 We read books.

We talked about what we read.

The younger 6 wrote 2 reports--one about Archimedes and one about William Tyndale . . . unless the William Tyndale one was last week.  (I did a quick skim and couldn't find it, so whatever week it was, it is now recorded.)

We finished The Ark and started Summer of the Monkeys in its place.
We finished The Bible Smuggler and started Mama's Bank Account in its place.
We finished Archimedes and the Door of Science and started Sequoyah: Leader of the Cherokees in its place.

And one day, after we did all of our reading, I had a sudden inspiration accompanied by energy to act on it.  

Eleven of us picked ourselves up and were out the door to see the Egyptian, Assyrian, and Greek historical displays at the art museum.


She was so curious about the mummy!









We only stayed for an hour maybe, but we couldn't leave without visiting the knight!

We were off to the glass maze/labyrinth, but it was closed. :(

The museum guard who was stationed in the area we were focused on told me, "I have to compliment your children.  Not only are they well-behaved, but they are so curious and interested in learning!"

Could there be a better compliment???

The older 2 turned in their response papers for The Scarlet Letter.
We finished The Comedy of Errors and watched my favorite recorded production of it.


We started The History of Music from The Delphian Course, but it was so bad--so full of blanket statements about music and art, so biased, so incorrect, and so frustrating--that I packed up the whole set and put it in the donate pile.  (I've had the same experience 3 other times with The Delphian Course, so I felt I'd given it plenty of chances to prove itself worthwhile.)

I'd already started The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin with the 2 older girls, and then I found our old  American Literature text, so we dove into that.  Between the long read-alouds we're sharing and the information from the textbook, we're off to a great start creating a quality homemade American Literature course.

On Tuesday 5 of the kids served in the temple.  For whatever reason, I have a picture of 3 of them:


And one rainy day sounded like this . . . 


. . . for more time than you'd think was tolerable!

Of the various plants I have growing in our garden so far, the kids are most interested in the peas.  There's something about watching them climb the strings but sometimes miss the strings and try to climb each other or themselves that is worth reporting to me several times a day.

I quite like it.

But the growing strawberry plants make me the happiest!

Comments

  1. I love museums! And what a lovely compliment from the guard. <3 I think it's great that you went just to focus on the areas you'd been learning about. I tend to want to see *everything* but that ends up being more superficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you made it out to a museum. What a lovely compliment from the guard.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week