A Week, Briefly (11/4/19)

Another week has rolled by, and I am consumed by thoughts that I am failing at homeschooling this year.

Brother is back in the acute care psych hospital; his hospital therapist said to me, "He was doing fine until you got on the phone.  Now he's agitated and won't cooperate."

Continued and spreading illness kept us from most of our formal schooling this week.

Multiple appointments have kept us running all over the city.

I feel intensely what we are not doing each day . . . but here's my best effort to remember what we did get done.

*Morning Meeting--5 days
*Evening Reading--5 days
*Symposium--3 days

Language Arts Unit 3 includes charcoal drawing.  Super Star was so amused by her coaly hands that she smeared stripes on her cheeks.

*Documentaries--Animals with Cameras, Kitten Rescuers
*Park Day with Dad



*Dentist Appointments--2 kids
*Consultation with Clinical Psychologist--the diagnosis for Ladybug is Intellectual Disability
*Follow up at ADHD clinic for Beowulf
*Family Therapy at the psych hospital for Brother
*Visits to Brother--3
*Calls to 911--2
*Calls to ABA therapy clinics--4
*Calls to the Regional Office about services--2
*Costume/Creative Play--2 days
*Dance Costumes sewed--12

9 of my 12 little dancers

Dance Costumes purchased--8
Dance performances--1, our first show of the season! 

East African-inspired dance

English line dance--think Jane Austen

Bollywood--choreographed by Pixie before she left

Jewish-inspired dance--my 7-10 year old class

My little hula dancers!

Polka--all accompaniment was by the young man with the accordion--he is amazing!

Russian-inspired dance.  It was weird and wonderful!

*Church Activity Night
*Math tutoring sessions--5
*Pirate history lesson by Mister Man--complete with comprehension quizzes!



*Therapy sessions--1 (mine)

I was just reminded that Lola is to give a talk in church on Sunday . . . getting on that ASAP!

Comments

  1. Stop beating yourself up. You and your little students are accomplishing so much under incredibly difficult circumstances. It amazes me how much you DO get done. Praying for you always and I hope the hospital can accomplish something positive for Brother.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard when your days feel consumed by health drama. It reminds me of that first two years with Mason, when he had so many health needs, appointments, therapies, and surgeries (18! 1/3 of which were emergency brain surgeries.) Homeschool felt dropped more than it happened. I would encourage you with two things. First, learning is happening wonderfully well, even when it is not instigated by you. Those kids are learning and growing. We had a long season of minimal formal schooling. I kept library books and audio books on hand regularly, but that was about it. It all worked out educationally. Second, none of this is a surprise to Heavenly Father. He knew this season was coming for your family. He has already prepared them and you to flourish through it, including educationally. That may not look like what you expect, but it will be valuable and just what is needed. Make the small efforts you can and he will bless and multiply them in the lives of your children. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having the same thoughts that I am failing at homeschooling this year. You amaze me at how much you are able to accomplish with so many challenges in your life right now. Life happens and we just need to remember that they will continue to learn even if there is no or little formal schooling. Yesterday I gathered the three youngest healthy children to do individual and group with the three of them and just when I sat down got a text from Nick that he was sick at school and needed me to come and get him (just two hours after I drove 40 minutes to get him there.) Then had another fall ill last night.(that makes 7 that has had this illness leaving only my husband, it's bad!) I am not even attempting school today hoping to find something educational to watch on TV. I am so sorry for what the hospital therapist said to you. You are a great mom and doing the best you can in hard, hard circumstances. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week