A Week, Briefly (9/24/18)

This was officially week 4 of our 2018-19 homeschool year, and we are still struggling.

Quite simply, I can't do so much out of the house stuff.

Some of the kids can't do so much out of the house stuff.

Some of the kids really need the out of the house stuff.

You'd think the give and take would help us develop an atmosphere of blessing one another and thriving, but I feel like I'm dying, and a goodly portion of the kids are falling to pieces, and while I'm truly trying to believe that we'll find our rhythm . . . I just want to give up.

But I haven't.

And good things are happening.

Mister Man as Osiris.

We got Pixie an ACT prep book and got her signed up to re-take it officially in October.  I think she'll need to take it again in December to get her score to a comfortable level, but she's taken the first practice exam, and now we have a record of what she got right and what she needs to work on.  We're focusing on math . . . because we thought that would be her strongest area, but it's not, and that's pretty disconcerting.

Ladybug's early morning school is going well.

We've completed 3 weeks of co-op.  (Only 5 to go!)  Belle says her favorite, favorite class is the college writing class.  The instructor is a retired community college English teacher (30 years), and she's marvelous.  She knows how to bring out the writer in kids, and Belle is joyfully blossoming under her tutelage.

The Storytime teacher and I share a number of students, and I lead my Sensory class right after Storytime.  We both had the great idea to use shaving cream on the same day.


The kids loved the shaving cream . . . for a little while, but 2 hours of it was too much, so it's a good thing I had food coloring and plastic bags for color mixing experiments as well as all kinds of old sprinkles for extra texture and color.  It's also a good thing that lunch is right after my class, so we went ahead and cleaned up early and headed to the lunch room.

The teens took their second Spanish quiz, for which I thought they were perfectly prepared.  I was wrong!  Two scores of 75% and one of 56% have led us to start Unit 2 all over again, and we'll be increasing our memorization activities.

They did all do just fine on their first language arts Unit Check, and we're well into Unit 2 of that program.

One morning a squirrel used our empty garden bed to bury some nuts.  We had a perfect view out our dining room window.  These two came scampering into the kitchen to tell me about it and they used their hands and squeaky voice to mimic the squirrel.  We laughed and laughed, and I made them recreate the moment so I could get a picture of it and remember.

We started week 6 of history, but we'll be slowing down a lot in the coming weeks with Beowulf's assessment appointments and Brother's intake meeting.

Pixie is still earning excellent grades in her geography class.

Academy is moving along slowly.  We worked hard on Monday and Wednesday, and we had abbreviated meetings on Thursday (for dance) and Friday (to take advantage of a perfect fall day and go for a hike with Daddy).



Using nature as inspiration, these two have been prolific producers of poetry.


We read a number of Greek myths, but the D'Aulaire book started to feel soooooo loooooong, and I moved it from the school shelf to the library shelf for free reading and exploring.  The kids have all voiced sorrow about the change.

We have The Usborne Book of Greek Myths.  I wonder if I can read that one aloud instead.

Individual school for Mister Man, Brother, and Beowulf is still a total fail.  They get anywhere from 0-2 turns at school in a full week, and I don't feel that is right for any of them.  I do not yet have even an inkling of a solution for that problem.

He's done with book 4 and has started book 5--all about our senses.

Nature Angel continues to be a diligent, growing student.  I love to review her work and listen to her talk about what she's learned.

By Nature Angel--created in her co-op drawing class.

Little Princess and I have had several sit-downs about accountability.  She's a social learner, and she thrives in a group setting.  When she has to buckle down and just do the work on her own, she hems and haws and disappears and makes excuses upon excuses.  One solution has been to allow her to sit quietly at the table during Symposium.  The teens don't love it, but since I've begun allowing it Little Princess has trebled her school productivity, and she's happy listening to the discussions all around her.

The cooler weather has brightened the young ones' attitude about being out-of-doors, and they spend happy hours climbing trees, catching frogs and toads, and building in the sand pit.

The first sesson of MOCSA was an utter waste of time for me.  (Why they went over the exact same material they already went over twice in our individual meetings is incomprehensible.)  I'm not sure what it was for Ladybug, though.  It's an 18 week program for both parents and children that takes 2 1/2 hours out of every Wednesday, and I'm hoping it will be worth our while in the long run.

Tired of waiting for Mommy to finish a Spanish lesson with the teens, these two took bandaging their owies into their own hands.

Today the teens will be gone all day--first at a church youth volleyball tournament then to the local amusement park for an afternoon of rides and an evening of haunted houses (blech!).

I will be on my own with 10 kids ages 2-11, and that is why I'm trying out Walmart's grocery pick-up for the first time today.

Comments

  1. You’ve been struggling a long time. It’s ok to talk to someone- if not an actual therapist, then maybe your bishop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((HUGS)) I will double my prayers that you will be able to receive inspiration on what activities to keep and what it may be time to let go of. Truly, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and it sounds like your out of the house time has reached well beyond that. As much as I can think of 10 different out of the house opportunities that various children (or myself!) in my family would enjoy or benefit from, I have learned that in my own large family with medical needs sacrifices of good things have to be made to really focus in on just essential things.
    And to be completely transparent, I've struggled on and off for years, but specifically in recent weeks, with envy for people whose children are gone at day care, preschool, and public school all day, because they can do so many things. Ex: our ward has a walking group of moms that walk every Thursday morning through 2 hours of the prime school time. Others get to go to the gym to take fun classes, go to lunch, etc. I even struggle with wanting to be the one doing college classes instead of my husband and soon to be my oldest. I love learning. I have a thirst for learning. The most recent thing I've struggled with was last week. We are going to have an institute class start up next month in our ward building for our stake. The building that is 6 minutes from my house. I would give my right arm to go have a gospel study class with adults. I was thinking of ways to make it happen in the evening, even with my husband needing to do school work, had been thinking about it for two weeks while waiting to hear what day and time it will be. On Sunday they announced that it will be Tuesday mornings and as I sat there in Sacrament meeting I felt a prompting that I am not to go to this class. I cried. I feel like crying right now just typing it. And yet the Spirit has witnessed to me that in this season, for me personally, I am needed more in my home, homeschooling my children on Tuesday mornings. God needs me to sacrifice that opportunity. I don't know why. I don't like it. I wish it were a different answer. But it is not and so I am just trusting that God will send me an extra measure of peace as I obey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are human. Every one of us lives only once and no more. You too can have your space, your moments, your study time. You must. You need. I think we are the same age (almost) I read your blog because I admire you, your strenght and your ability to organize a crew as your family is. I'm from another country, I'm a worker, I have no children (unfortunately), basically another background but when I read your comment i could feel your emotion and that hit me hard. If I could I'll give you my help :) a virtual hug and don't cry, there is space also for your wishes.

      Delete
  3. Walmart grocery pickup can truly be a blessing. I use it when we are sick or exceptionally busy. I have friends who use it all the time.

    I am rooting for you to find the right balance that you and your family need. I can't imagine how hard it must be. You do a lot for your beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for balance and peace of mind. It is so hard to pick what is best for the whole family when there are so many opportunities for just a few. I know one thing...what is good for mom is good for everyone. Co-op sounds so awesome and time consuming. Thank goodness it is only a few more weeks.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thankful for your honesty about your struggles! I stand in awe of you and all that you DO accomplish! It just doesn't seem like there are enough hours in the day. If I were in your shoes, it seems like the most obvious solution (barring the ability to clone yourself 😉) would be to hire a teacher's assistant or "mothers' helper" or tutor to come to your house and do select learning activities with certain kids while you work with other kids. I think outsourcing some things when necessary is wise. But of course, the cost of hiring such a helper may be completely prohibitive! I pray that you'll be inspired and strengthened so you'll be able to continue providing what each of your precious children needs! ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just praying for you. You are wonderful and doing God's work. I hope He will bless you with strength and evidences of His love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might have mentioned this before, but my son is very strong in math skills and I was completely shocked when that was his weakest portion of the ACT. It was not at all what I expected. His is preparing to take it again at the end of the month. I would love for this to be the last time for him to take it especially since the price of the test continues to go up!! but we will see how it goes and will probably take it again in the spring. I struggle with balance every single day. There are always so many things left undone. Some projects and ideas that start out to be such a good thing can turn so time consuming and leaves me wondering which ones are worthwhile and what things need to go or how I can manage my time better. The garden I planted last spring and put some much time and effort ended up falling to pieces when I could not continue to dedicate the time it needed. I feel like a failure every time I walk past it and see how it turned out. I so wish we had Walmart grocery pick up here! But thats life in a small town. My oven door was broken last night and I have to figure out meals for the next little while while we make a decision on purchasing (charging) a new one. We are out of everything right now so off to Walmart we go this morning. Praying you find the balance you need and that you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week