Wednesday: It Was Rough

I woke up with sinus pressure and a nasty tickle at the back of my throat.  My bones felt too heavy for my body, and my muscles ached.

I knew I was getting a cold.

But it was my turn to get the girls to seminary, so I put on clean clothes and headed out the door.

The sun came out for the first time in 20 straight days, and I wanted to rejoice in it with my kids.  I contemplated hiking, using a freebie zoo coupon, heading to a newly renovated local park . . . and then I coughed and sneezed and felt my muscles yell at me.

Thursday was to be our final dance day of the semester--a full-costume, full-energy show for a local nursing home. The energy required to get through Thursday made an at-home day absolutely mandatory on Wednesday, so I put joy in my voice and sold the kids on an awesome morning of bike-riding in the driveway while I took turns calling them in for one-on-one school.

While I worked with Pixie on confusing Algebra 2 equations, the kids got themselves outside . . . and proceeded to dig into the mud . . . completely ignoring the giant mud space in the back yard that is completely their own and choosing to dig in the front yard where they are forbidden to dig.

But I was unaware of this at this point in the morning.

Suddenly Baymax was crying, and the rest of the kids were screaming for help.

I groaned my way out of my chair and found Baymax bleeding from his face from half a dozen puncture wounds inflicted by Belle's beloved Theo.

Our sweet Theo!?!?!?

Most of the wounds were clearly going to heal on their own, and I knew Theo's shots were up to date.  But I wasn't sure about the deepest puncture that was 1/4" from Baymax's eye, so I hurried him off to urgent care only to be told that he was too young to treat anywhere but at the children's hospital (seriously!?!) and that urgent care was forbidden to handle animal-inflicted injuries anyway.

By this time the bleeding was slowing sufficiently that I could see that a butterfly bandage would do fine near Baymax's eye, and a consult with Sir Walter Scott (he's a critical care nurse) via text message and phone conversation confirmed that.

All cleaned up and calm--I could see that he'd be fine.

I settled Baymax into Super Star's arms with a storybook and took Belle and Theo off to the vet for a consultation--what do we do with our family doggie now?

She immediately classified him as a "dangerous dog" and told us he was outside the realm of her expertise.  She reminded us he was a terrible liability (what if he hurt a neighbor or stranger next?) and referred us to an animal behavioralist.

Belle and I cried.

The stress and tension were simply too much for us.

I tried to get Belle to talk it out a bit, but she could barely answer me--the feelings were even too big for words.

I got two sentences out of her.

"I should have been there."

"I'm mad at Theo."

My heart ached for her spoken and unspoken words.  She's only 13.  Theo is her beloved, beloved baby.  She cares for, trains, and loves him with every fiber of her being.

Again, it is all too much.

 By the time we got home it was past lunch time, but Belle and I had stopped at the store for quick sandwich fixings, so we fed the crew.

But I discovered the digging damage to the front yard, and we had rather a long series of temper tantrums when I called the kids on their disobedience.

And then the mother of our little friend, the one we babysit on Saturdays, (I think I'll call her Sweet Pea) called me back because I felt obligated to tell her about our dog, so she could decide whether she wanted her child coming to our home on a regular basis.  I was just sick with worry, but she was kind and practical about the whole thing.  I'm pretty sure I'm old enough to be her mother, but she is wise beyond her years, and she said she had complete confidence in us and how we would protect her precious girl.

Then the behaviorist called and told us our consult with him would cost $160/hr!!!!

I scheduled an appointment because I didn't know what else to do, but I don't know if we can keep it.  There must be a more affordable answer.

I wanted to call the day a complete wash, but the teens do want to graduate from high school someday, so I organized things as usual for Symposium, but first Brother threw the granddaddy of all tantrums and had to spend quiet time on the front porch, then Lola threw the mother of all screaming fits which sent Rose Red into overload, and she stormed out of the room refusing to do any school at all.

When Lola fell asleep, I checked on quiet time for various kids and found that Ladybug was stealing again, so I took the stolen objects from her.

Then she managed to break half a dozen more house rules, which kept me constantly jumping.

I dismissed Symposium and sent the younger kids back outside to play, and, realizing they badly needed the reassurance of one-on-one time with Mom and some normalcy to their day, prepared to do that very thing.

That went fairly well until it was Ladybug's turn--she who clearly needed me the very most out of all of this--but when it was her turn I reminded her to go potty and wash her hands before coming to her school session.  This made her angry enough that when Lola followed her into the bathroom, she turned off the light and locked Lola into the dark bathroom.

Which effectively destroyed her chance to have one-on-one time with me.

By this time, 4:54 pm, both toddlers were whining wrecks.   Lola had had a nap, but I suspected she was fighting the same illness I was, so she needed loves and rest, and poor Baymax's face was swollen and probably hurting.  I dosed him up with children's pain meds, and poured 2 bowls of cold cereal for them.

Then I put out cold cereal and bananas for every one.

I begged help from the older girls to get the kids through their bedtime routines while I laid down just long enough to gather enough strength to tuck everyone in.

They did help . . . mostly.  But Brother and Beowulf were refusing to clean up the toys they were asked to put away, and Ladybug was teasing Little Princess to tears.  I got up and settled difficulties (none too pleasantly) and then when Beowulf and Brother would not let Belle help them get their baths, I intervened.

I should have walked away.

They ended up naked and wet (but wrapped in towels) in their time out spots on the porch.

This time the ugliness was my own fault.  They were just being little boys who had feelings and worries too big to understand.

It took me nearly an hour to work up the self-control to apologize to them for my actions.

But at least I did.

And I'm counting on the grace of my Savior to cover my wretchedness.

Rose Red took Pixie to dance.  I read stories and tucked everyone into bed with prayers, songs, and kisses.

My last words to Ladybug were, "Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it."

It never stays true for long--the no mistakes in it part--but at least there's hope every single morning.

Comments

  1. That does sound rough. Hoping that Thursday is a day without mistakes, or perhaps more realistically a day with just a few minor ones ;-) Also really hoping you can find a solution to There's behaviour. I can only imagine how devastated and upset Belle is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible, no good day. Poor Baymax. Poor Belle. Poor Mom. I wish I had some wisdom that would be helpful. I don't know what to offer. But I do love you. I know it will work out, eventually. I hope today is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what an exhausting, heart squeezing day. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. I hope today was a better day, that everyone is feeling better, and that there is some kind of solution about the dog. By Wednesday of this week I had to apologize to multiple children for loosing my temper and yelling at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you for your words of understanding and good wishes. We're kind of limping along here, but at least we're moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a person who has worked in dog rescue and training for many years, my first question would be, has Theo displayed this kind of behavior before, and what were the kids doing when Theo attacked your son? My concern is that your adopted children have displayed behavioral problems that might lead them to be cruel to Theo when nobody is looking (I think you've said before that at least one of them was terrified of dogs and that can make a child behave badly with an animal when no one is around), which might make Theo react by attacking a child who inadvertently did a triggering behavior. Have you been overseeing your daughter's training of Theo, to make sure that all of the children treat the dog with respect? It's just very out of character for a formerly placid dog to suddenly and viciously attack a child for no reason. If your vet's knee-jerk reaction was to classify Theo as "dangerous," that makes Theo a huge liability for you and will probably lead to Theo being euthanized, which would be very traumatic for your daughter. As difficult as it might be, try to get the full story out of the children before you decide what to do with Theo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just re-read my comment and I don't want you to think I'm saying that the dog is more important than the kids, because I'm really not. I just know that if your vet has classified Theo as dangerous, a rescue probably won't take him (most rescues are staffed entirely by volunteers, and one lawsuit about a dog bite could wipe them out) and the Humane Society will probably euthanize him if you take him there under these circumstances. Any of these outcomes would be really traumatic for your daughter, who loves the dog very much, and might lead to a lot of resentment among the siblings. If you find out that Theo's attack was due to one of the siblings mistreating him when nobody is looking, it will make it much easier for you to find a rescue or a private home that will take him should you decide to re-home (since it means Theo's not vicious, just frightened). And although re-homing would be hard on your daughter too, it would be much less traumatic than having to have Theo euthanized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thought-provoking comment. You're absolutely right that a couple of the kids have been cruel. We do not tolerate or condone cruelty, and we've stopped the kids the minute we've been aware, but it is entirely possible that he was responding to a past trigger. Belle has also admitted that she knew Theo tended to be protective of bones--he's totally mellow about his food, toys, and rawhide chews. That's why she's blaming herself. She's worked from day 1 to teach him not to be protective of anything, but having a bone is such rare treat, that he's not made much progress in that area.

      At this point, we neither want to re-home him nor euthanize him. He is a sweet fellow, and as we feel we are sure of his trigger, we're going to do our best to help him stay right in our family.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I worried after I wrote it that you'd think I was accusing the children of being cruel and I was just really trying to figure out what would set off a dog that had never been mean before. I'm sure you would never condone any kind of cruelty but I have kids myself and I know it's impossible to be everywhere all the time.

      Unfortunately, vets and rescues tend to have a knee-jerk reaction when they hear a dog has been mean, and that reaction usually ends up in with the dog being euthanized. We've taken a few dogs into rescue that we were told were mean and we thought maybe they were just in the wrong home, and generally we've been right, but not all rescues have the resources to figure it out. Keeping him is the best outcome for your daughter and I'm sure for your family.

      Sometimes when a dog is territorial about just one item, it works best to keep that item away from the dog, or just give the dog that item when the dog is away from everyone else (in a crate, for example.) In your situation, though, I'd say the best way to do it is to train Theo not to be territorial because kids are kids and they're going to be around the dog no matter what. If she wants to train him to not be territorial about bones, it's a matter of giving him a bone, then petting him, etc. while he has the bone -- and immediately reacting if he growls or snaps by taking the bone away and saying "NO." Give the bone back a few minutes later and repeat until the dog no longer growls if you touch him when he has a bone. It can take awhile but the dog learns eventually that it's not supposed be territorial with the bone.

      I really admire your family and am in awe of what you accomplish and the good you are doing in the world. Theo is a lucky dog. Sometimes you just have to convince a dog its lucky. :o)

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I've been exploring rehabilitation options in our community, and it turns out that it would cost well over $1,000 to get any professional help. Your advice feels practical and correct . . . and freely given. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I remember days like that. You are a special woman. I really hope that everything works out with Theo. What a hard, hard day. My prayers are always with you.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne's Day in the Life: 17, 16, 12, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 5, & 5

Review: Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels”

The Second Week